Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence was established in 2006 as a part of the Department of European Economic Integration at the Cracow University of Economics on the basis of Jean Monnet Chair.
Jean Monnet Chair and Centre of Excellence Jean Monnet are elements of a prestigious Jean Monnet Project, cofinanced by the European Commission. This Project is addressed to universities in the EU member countries, EU candidate countries and other countries interested in the development of new teaching activities and scientific researches in the field of European integration.
The Project supports the activities of European integration experts, who possess rich didactic and scientific background on research in the area of European economic integration and who wish to pursue further teaching and scientific initiatives. The main purpose of the Project is the establishment of solid structures concerned with the teaching of European economic, legal and political integration and the introduction of new subjects in the didactic offer and university education programmes.
The Project enables scientists and universities from the European Community Studies Association (ECSA) to join the international Jean Monnet network.
Core aims and objectives of the Jan Monnet Centre of Excellence are:
- Developing teaching European issues on Bachelor and Master levels
- Expanding knowledge on rules and mechanism of EU
- Developing knowledge about European Integration
- Bringing closer the debate on teaching European issues in frame of Jean Monnet Centers of Excellence and Jean Monnet Chairs
- Starting cooperation within JM Chairs and JM CE in Poland
- Gaining a deep understanding of the European Union, especially recent developments, such as EU enlargement and its consequences, Lisbon Treaty
- Organizing the postgraduate courses on European Studies:
- for the candidates on EU officials
- for Polish administrative officials dealing with European Integration
- Making the Jean Monnet activities more visible in the society (e.g. JMCE website, database on EU and the process of integration, publications, leaflets, lectures, seminars, courses)
- Better exploitation of expertise:
- a number of trainings on functioning of European criminal cooperation for Polish lawyers
- a number of legal expertise for the Polish Government
- a number of legal expertise for the Polish Parliament
- Building a Network of Jean Monnet Professors and Jean Monnet Centers of Excellence:
- organizing round table debates about teaching European issues on undergraduate and graduate level
- Non-academic activities:
- organizing open lectures for pupils, secondary school teachers, local and regional institutions, PhD students
- organizing competitions/contests on knowledge about the European Union for post-gymnasium pupils
- organizing open doors days for university candidates